Friday, May 12, 2017

Unit 9 Reflection

This unit was about how we classify life, and the evolutionary relationships of life's forms. We learned that taxonomy divided organisms by domain, kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species. The domains are archaea, bateria, and eukarya. Within eukarya, life probably started out as marine life, and eventually transitioned into land species, starting with the tiktaalik that could do a push up! Eventually, life evolved into amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals.

Image result for tiktaalik

We also did the What On Earth Evolved Presentations. I thought my presentation went pretty well because I didn't read off the slides as much as I expected myself to. It was a fun experience over all because it was nice to hear information from other classmates rather than only the vodcasts. I think an area I could have done better in is speaking without filler words and "ums" and "likes". I really worked on that a lot for this presentation, but I should do that even more.  Link to my presentation is here.

It was really interesting to learn about all of the different organisms, especially the invertebrates. I didn't know that most of the invertebrates we learned about even existed. For example, the echinoderms, platyhelminthes, cnidarians, etc. I want to learn more hox genes because they seem very interesting and somewhat mysterious. I also want to learn about archaeopteryx because it was the transitional species between dinosaurs and birds. I also want to learn more about archaea, and the latest research.
Image result for archaea
archaea growing in a hot spring.

Over all, this unit was really interesting to learn about the vast diversity of life on our planet.
Link to previous reflection
Link to geologic timeline showing animal diversity on earth




No comments:

Post a Comment